My Home, My Choice
Guarding the civil rights of people with disabilities.
Moving out of a facility and back into the community — living on your own — can be very challenging. Having to overcome the many obstacles put before you may be more than you feel you can do. Now, you have help.
My Home, My Choice assists individuals with disabilities, who reside in facilities, to make the transition to independent living successfully. The experienced and knowledgeable staff guides you through the process. They help you write a plan for moving and coordinate the support services you will need to be successful.
This program is free to all that qualify, and have the desire and motivation to change their lives and living situation. Your transition into the community will depend on the availability of resources. The program staff can help you explore options about where you can live, what finances will be needed, and what services are available to meet your needs.
Empowering ourselves and others to live as we choose.
- You currently live in a facility, such as a nursing home, in Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Gaston, or Union Counties.
- You want to move out and live independently.
- You are able to live in the community safely and independently.
- You are willing to work with our staff in order to meet your goals.
How do I get started?
Talk with us, and your social worker, about scheduling a meeting. We will then discuss your situation and what you will need in order to live independently in the community. Or, call 704 537-0550, and ask for extension 20.
Community Transitions Program
Please Note: Disability Rights & Resources is not a “crisis” assistance agency.
To qualify for the program:
- You must have some form of income and provide proof of that income.
- You have never used our transition program before. This is a one-time service.
- You must provide proof of residence in a facility.
- You must be able to locate and secure your own housing. We do not pay application fees.
- You must be committed to changing your life! If you are, we will do everything we can to help you reach your goals!